Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Interview Chronicles!

Feb. 13:
Interview season is finally here. We have all been trying our hardest to land an internship at one of many accounting firms, preferably at the Big 4. I have found a new talent during this whole debacle. The interview season has helped me become much better at BS if nothing else. I might or might not land an internship during the summer but I have realized that I can dominate conversations with my BS wherever I need it. That is a trait I have gained solely in the past four weeks. I knew that I had to put in some BS on the interviews and the pre-interview dinners to land a job at any firm, and since I had applied to more than 5 firms the opportunities to BS were abundant. I had been pretty happy with my BSing abilities at interviews but today I realized that the BSing has carried over to other parts of my life.

The first time that I realized about my new found ability was during my group's conference with our tax professor. My group is a super cool group and I absolutely love those fellas, but there is no one in our group who is too vocal. Everybody is kinda reserved. The professor we had the conference with is a laid back, cool kinda guy who shows up in nice sweaters everyday. The objective of the meeting was that he would ask us questions in turns. The meeting started that way but I put my new found talent into exhibition and dominated the conversation from a few minutes in. The main reason why I think I am getting so good at it is because of the extensive business Jargon I have learned over the past few weeks. Now I know how Surya from the apprentice must feel like. It is great, absolutely great!

Feb 14:
I have my last interview of the interview season today. I met the lady I am interviewing last night at the pre-interview social that the company I am interviewing with had organized. It was a fun little gathering. I loved the chocolate fountain but nothing else was quite as amazing. The worst thing about these events is that you are never at ease. Having to maintain that inquisitive, smiling face (Think Jerry McGuire) for an hour and a half is a challenge.

Well, it's around 1:45 right now. I am at work and my interview is at 3: 30. I will probably leave at around 2:15, go home, shave, take a shower and come back to campus for the interview at around 3:15 with my game face on. You know, the inquisitive and smiling one. This is the first time that I am interviewing with a lady this semester and I am kinda scared. I haven't had any butterflies on the stomach before this interview. The lady seemed very nice yesterday but she is a little bit intimidating. Also, she is from HR and I am sure she is tough to please. I am also the last person interviewing her today so she must be worn out already. I don't know what her mood will be like by the time I get there. On top of that today is valentine's day and I am sure that she will be in a rush to get back to her hubby. I hope her flight is late in the evening.

I have handled auditors and other accountants pretty well in interviews so far, but she does recruiting for a living. So, I have no clue how I am going to fare.

I am concerned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home