Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wish I could help

School has been rough lately. I hate my teachers for stacking up all the big projects towards the end of the semester. There have been a lot of things that I want to write about. I couldn't even write about my trip this weekend, which was eventful to say the least. I haven't decided (yet) whether this trip was good or bad but I will write something once I figure it out. However, I don't think I will get to it anytime soon. I have finals next week.

Anyways, I just talked for about an hour on the phone with my cousin who lives in Boston. He and I have always been close, ever since we were kids. He is probably one of the top 5 most influential people in my life. Since we do not have a lot of family out here, we end up turning towards each other whenever we need to talk with someone. He had been trying to call me for the past couple of days. Yesterday he called me when I was in a group meeting, so I could not pick up the phone. The day before that I had missed his call because I was in the no-cell-phone-service zone of the library. However, today I met him online and he asked me to call him.

"Things are fine." I got the automatic response when I asked him how things were. We chatted about normal stuff for the first few minutes. Weather, work, family; same old shit. I could tell that he was badly drunk from how he spoke. Something was definitely bothering him, so I pushed him a little bit and he began to open up.

He suddenly started to talk in English. English is cold, or at least that's how I feel because it is not my native tongue. So when we (the non native speakers) speak English, there is a lot less emotion attached. I guess that's why we turn to English when there is something difficult to explain. Not complex, difficult. He probably felt that he could keep his emotions in check if he spoke in English. He couldn't, he started crying. English really did not help him at all. He
had been having serious problems in his relationship. I don't really wanna go in to the details but the situation sounded pretty bad.

I am no expert on relationships. I couldn't really offer him anything more than a few "Hang in there" comments. I am a good listener though, and hope that me listening to him helped him somehow. At least he was able to talk to somebody about it instead of just taking everything by himself. I want to help in any other way possible, but don't really know how.

He did hint a few positive things though. He said he joined a fitness club and was doing his vipassana meditation more often. Hopefully, that will help clear his mind.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I heard him cry for the first time in my life. I don't ever remember him crying, not even when we were kids. He is the most upbeat person you will ever meet, the kind of person you turn to when you need confidence in your endeavors. He sounded angry and frustrated. Definitely not the way he is supposed to be. I hope he doesn't do something stupid.

3 Comments:

Blogger BlogGossipCorner said...

This is blog gossip corner.
thank you

4/13/07, 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was just blog hopping and i happen to be in your blog, haven't read your postings yet...
but, saw the picture of 'Sato' from samurai X, and had this urge to drop this comment just by affiliation with manga geeks, great fan of Samurai X myself....
caio..

4/14/07, 10:25 AM  
Blogger Juggy said...

Sometimes, we can just sit and be there for others!! We could just feel a part of their pain and wish if we can really can make them happy; we can't but still the hope remains!! Nice entry!! and Yeah very good blog indeed!! :)

4/17/07, 4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home