Monday, April 02, 2007

Opening Day, Yawn!

I don’t know what all the fuss is about. It’s apparently “Opening Day” in baseball today and everybody is excited. A couple of my group members were having a heated discussion about that today in class. Even my boss was looking at the ESPN article on Opening day when I walked into his office today. I don’t get it. Opening Day? What’s so special about opening day? If it were the playoffs or the World Series, I could understand but opening day just goes beyond my head.

Let me make one thing clear. I haven’t ever watched a full baseball game (ever!) in all of the 3 years that I have been here. The closest I have been to watching a full game is the Yankees-Red Sox playoff game in 2004. How weird is that? It’s surprising even to me because baseball is pretty close to another game that I really love-Cricket, and you would think that the first sport that I would catch up to when I got here was baseball. But No, I am a huge Football and an even bigger basketball fan instead. I am sorry if I offend any baseball fans but baseball is probably even below Ice Hockey for me at this point. Baseball isn’t as popular as the other two sports around here. We are predominantly a Football school and so I really got into Football when I got here. And, I have always been an NBA fan (even before I came here) so it was pretty easy for me to build on the affinity that I already had. So, baseball never really got a chance. There is only so much you can follow.

The reason why I probably haven’t gotten into it is because it is so S….l…o…w and looooooooooooooooong. Nothing Happens! Unlike baseball, in cricket we like to hit the ball (or try to) with the bat every time. This is what kills me when I watch baseball. Could players start hitting the ball more, please? I know, I know. I am just being naïve and I haven’t really tried to understand the game at all. I am sure it is a wonderful game and is worthy of being called America’s favorite pass time.

I am actually going to a Giants game this summer as one of the field trips in my internship. May be that will spark an interest.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanna read Vahsek's Ramblings?
NIce site you have got. Keep it up.
cheers

4/2/07, 10:21 PM  
Blogger Salik Shah said...

Well- I'd say nice post.

Hope to read more of you in coming days.

Keep Updating.

4/3/07, 12:56 PM  
Blogger itsnotmeitsme said...

Oh no!!! You've just got to watch for a while to be able to really, really appreciate the beauty of an incredible double play. Then again, a lot of people I know don't like it... But I am a little obsessed...

4/6/07, 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home