Saturday, February 17, 2007

Nostalgia

Nostalgia is amazing, I would not trade it for anything. Last night,a friend of mine and I were chatting about things from back home and condescending our life here in the US at about 2 in the morning. He had a shot or two of Vodka and was a bit giddy, I did not have anything but I was pretty damn motivated and excited myself. You probably won't believe this but we spent almost 30 minutes debating whether Kalikasthan ko bato is parallel or perpendicular to the road from putalisadak to Maitidevi. Naturally I won, I was sober.

This has become a bit of a habit
among us in the past year or so. I can tell that some (MOST) of us are missing Kathmandu greatly. It's been almost three years that most of the guys in my group have been here in the US, and most of us haven't been back home yet. Hence, every time we gather for anything, we become deeply nostalgic. Somebody inevitably brings up a memory from the past and our conversation immediately takes off on that tangent. It is usually a complete waste of time and does not really accomplish anything. At the end we are usually left wondering what we would do if we were in Kathmandu right now or just remembering some of the best moments we have had in Kathmandu.

For instance, about a week ago after one of those conversations the sights and sounds of the Pashupati Nath temple got into my head. For a moment, it took me back on time. I felt as if I was
siting on one of those benches across the Bagmati river, staring at the flames from the burning pyre at Aryaghat and smelling that distinct smell of cremation. I remembered how I loved to go to Pashupati and sit on those benches wondering about life and existence.

The fact that you can feel a moment like that, even for a second is what makes nostalgia amazing.
Like I said, I would never trade it for anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home