Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Liverpool vs Barca

I just finished watching the match between Barcelona and Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League. I am at work and was lucky enough to watch the game because they showed it on ESPN 360.

"Make sure your nails are long and easily bitten" is what one of the commentators said, and the match certainly did not disappoint. It was a fierce battle with Liverpool holding the upper hand because they had a 2-1 lead from the first game at the Nucamp.
I am not a big Liverpool fan or anything but I still wanted the reds to win and so, the last half an hour of the game was very nerve racking. I love Gerrard, and so every time he made a thunderous run with the ball it sent chills down my spine. This was the first time I was watching him after the World Cup so it was very exciting. On the other side the midfield started to play well in the second half. Deco is probably my least favorite player (because of all the dive he takes) but he is a magician with the ball. Every time he or Ronaldinho touched the ball I almost shit my pants. When Ronaldinho hit the post I could see the Reds loosing, and when Gudjhonsen scored I was sure that they were going to blow it. But somehow they managed to hold on, and even though they lost, they were able to progress to the next round by away goal rules. I was relieved!

Oh! and did I mention that Liverpool isn't even my favorite team?

The saddest thing though is that I had to watch this game on a small resized window placed at the top right hand corner of my 14" LCD screen at work. I had to make sure that there were other windows that demonstrated some kind of work related activity (like an excel spreadsheet!) just to make sure that it looked like I was working. I even had to switch to the excel window every time somebody walked in. Small things like this is why I think my life here in the US mediocre. I can't really sit down and enjoy things that I really love, just too many complications. Yes there is more money and better standard of living but the trade offs are huge. I am torn on what to do with my future.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an Arsenal fan, who sadly has nothing left to cheer on for this year. Third place in Premiership is nothing great to cheer on about really, especially with such a talented bunch of players in the team, albeit a bit inexperienced! Anyway, watched this match (thankfully on a bigger screen than yours!) and wanted Reds to go through as well - mainly because they are an English team and did ever so well in the first leg and in the first half of this second match.

By the way, you have a nice blog here, which I hadn't discovered before. Actually I am here because you commented on one of my posts on my blog. So cheers for that! And look forward to reading more from you as well.

3/22/07, 10:05 AM  
Blogger Mediocre said...

I am also an Arsenal Fan. It sucks that they lost to PSV. Hopefully, they will do much better next year.

3/22/07, 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home