Monday, February 26, 2007

Smiling takes you places

I flew in to San Jose this Thursday for an interview with a very big firm. Fortunately, I got an offer from them late last night for the summer Internship. I can't explain how happy and excited I am after the long and arduous process. The offer takes a little bit of pressure off me, as I can be a bit relaxed for the interview I have next week. I won't have to worry too much, knowing I already have an offer. Even though the upcoming firm is my number one choice for now, I am really not looking forward to two more days of the same smiling, nodding routine.

I read somewhere that
it takes 22 muscles to smile and 37 muscles to frown. They made it sound like you could smile for the rest of your life and have no trouble physically. Keeping the same smiling face for elongated period of time is stressful. I am sure everybody has felt this before. Remember the time when you visited your rich important uncle? Or the wedding reception of your mom's best friends daughter? I felt similar at times during these in house visits. There were some presentations that I really enjoyed or conversations that brought a natural smile to my face but there were many other situations when I had to fake it. How could I not? All the other candidates were doing it. How could I give up the competitive advantage to them by not smiling?

Actually, there was this one girl who was much better that anyone else at faking it.
She grinned like she was about to star in a toothpaste commercial every time a presenter looked into her face and she became normal as soon as the presenter looked away. She was automatic. I was more interested in observing her than what the presenter was actually saying during that whole presentation. Did I mention that she was very good looking as well?

Of course, I had my own smile ready whenever the presenter looked anywhere near my vicinity :)

1 Comments:

Blogger itsnotmeitsme said...

Great post - I know exactly what you mean! I used to come home from interviews with my face exhausted. What they don't tell you is that it doesn't take ANY muscles to leave your face relaxed...

3/11/07, 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home